CALLOUTS 1980-1989


Friday, December 1, 1989. Killarney, Rescue
Team personnel responded to a request to evacuate a construction worker who suffered spinal injuries following a fall at a town building site.

Sunday, October 1, 1989. Portmagee, Fatality (non-mountain)
The body of a local girl was recovered from the base of a 250 foot high sea cliff at Faillcalragh.

Saturday, September 23, 1989. Carrauntoohil, Fatality
The Team were alerted after an English walker failed to return to his car at Mealis. After an initial search of the most likely areas proved fruitless, the search was extended to involve the Civil Defence, Gardai, SARDA dogs from England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the Air Corps and other local groups. The extended search covered an area from Lough Acoose to the Gap of Dunloe and continued for 10 days, after which time it was officially called off, although many Team members continued searching at weekends. The remains were finally located by the Team during a search dog training session in April 1990 and were immediately evacuated to awaiting Gardai.

Tuesday, September 12, 1989. Tomies, Search
A boy became lost walking in Tomies wood. He was located on the lakeshore following a search.

Sunday, September 10, 1989. Brandon, Alert
The Team were alerted following the late return of a local parish priest from his walk up Masatiompan.

Wednesday, August 2, 1989. Gap of Dunloe, Rescue
An inexperienced walker fell 100 feet onto a ledge whilst descending the north face of Bull Mountain, and luckily escaped injury. The Team were alerted following shouts for help and lowered him 300 feet to safety.

Tuesday, August 1, 1989. Lickeen, Assistance
Team personnel assisted in the evacuation of a local man injured on the nearby hills.

Saturday, July 1, 1989. Gap of Dunloe, Rescue
An inexperienced walker became trapped on a ledge and shouted for help. The Team roped the person to safety.

Sunday, June 18, 1989. Carrauntoohil, Alert
Four army personnel became trapped on a ledge whilst attempting to climb the north east ridge (Primroses). The Team were alerted by Gardai and located the group. The group shouted that all was fine and retreated from the climb the following morning.

Thursday, May 25, 1989. Brandon, Fatality
The Team were alerted after a 73 year old German man who had been camping in the hills for two days failed to meet up with his family in Cloghane. After four days of searching over a wide area, assisted by the Air Corps and local sheep farmers, his body was located on the cliffs above Lough Avornane.

Sunday, February 26, 1989. Carrauntoohil, Assistance
Concern from friends and Team members about the well-being of four UCD students who were camped during a period of exceptionally heavy snowfall prompted the Team to carry out a brief search. The four were located camped under deep drifts in Cummeenoughter and were escorted down.

Friday, January 13, 1989. Valentia Island, Search
The Team were requested to assist other emergency services in a search operation off Beginish Island following the break-up of a Spanish trawler. The extensive air, land and sea search for the three missing crew continued for two days, during which time one body was located by the Valentia lifeboat.

Tuesday, January 3, 1989. Carrauntoohil, Alert
The Team were alerted by Gardai late in the evening after reports of shouts being heard in the Coomloughra area. Two Team members investigated using lights and loud hailers, but found nothing. The reported shouts transpired to have been a visiting walker searching for his German Shepherd dog, which was later shot on Purple Mountain after killing several sheep.

Tuesday, January 3, 1989. Carrauntoohil, Search
The Team were alerted before midnight after four Limerick men lost their way on the mountain. A preliminary search was carried out in conjunction with the Gardai. The following morning the group turned up in the Black Valley, one of them having sustained some minor injuries in a fall.


Thursday, December 29, 1988. Purple Mountain, Search
Three local venture scouts lost their way in the fog and the Team initiated two route searches after having been alerted before midnight. The boys were located uninjured in Coomcloghane the following morning.

Friday, September 23, 1988. Purple Mountain, Search
An English walker failed to turn up at Dinis after setting out from the Gap of Dunloe earlier. The Team were alerted at 3.00am, and carried out a preliminary search in conjunction with the Gardai. At first light National Park staff joined the search (including a search of the lakeshore by boat). The missing man was located in the Black Valley before midday.

Friday, September 16, 1988. Carrauntoohil, Rescue
Following two separate reports of shouts for help being heard high on the north face, an advance party made vocal and visual contact with two German climbers trapped on a precipitous ledge. Three Team members reached them before dawn and they were escorted to safety.

Tuesday, September 6, 1988. Brandon, Alert
A French walker lost his way on descending the Faha ridge, and his companion raised the alarm. The missing man turned up soon afterwards.

Saturday, August 27, 1988. Purple Mountain, Alert
An English man failed to arrive at Dinis to meet his girlfriend as arranged, after setting out from the Gap of Dunloe in the morning. A preliminary search was carried out and the man turned up at 1.00am.

Thursday, June 16, 1988. Torc, Assistance
A local outdoor education instructor fell whilst swanaboreing. He suffered minor injuries and was able to walk out with assistance.

Saturday, April 9, 1988. McGillycuddy Reeks, Rescue
A hillwalker from Northern Ireland suffered exhaustion whilst descending from Caher. The Team, assisted by his companions, stretchered him off

Sunday, March 6, 1988. Carrauntoohil, Assistance
The Team were requested to escort four Tralee women down from Cummeenoughter, after they had ascended Curved Gully and became frightened during their descent of Brother O'Shea's Gully. Evacuation began at first light.

Saturday, January 23, 1988. Baurtegaum, Search
An An Oige group consisting of sixty people lost their way in fog, and the Team carried out a preliminary search until midnight. At first light the search resumed with the help of locals and the Tralee MC, and the group were located late in the morning on their way home.


Wednesday, December 30, 1987. McGillycuddy Reeks, Fatality
A Limerick woman was swept away whilst attempting to cross the swollen Gaddagh River. The Team were alerted late in the evening and searched along the river until midnight. At first light a major search was initiated and co-ordinated by the Team, involving locals, Civil Defence, Gardai and several visiting adventure clubs. Her body was located downstream and was airlifted out.

Sunday, May 31, 1987. Mangerton, Alert
The Team were alerted after a party of Killarney walkers went missing in fog, and a preliminary search was carried out. The walkers were later located after getting lost in the fog.

Friday, May 1, 1987. McGillycuddy Reeks, Fatality
A hillwalker from Cork became separated from his party and fell whilst descending a steep gully south of Lough Cailli. A Team member who was camping in the area administered first aid before the rest of the Team arrived to carry out a speedy evacuation to an awaiting ambulance. The casualty died en route to hospital.

Friday, January 2, 1987. Brandon, Alert
The Team were alerted after people in Cloghane interpreted lights seen on the hill as an SOS. These transpired to be five Team members returning from a late climb.


Monday, December 1, 1986. Molls Gap, Rescue
A Team member fell 30 feet during a training exercise and suffered spinal injuries. The Team administered first aid and evacuated him to hospital.

Saturday, June 21, 1986. Brandon, Rescue
One of the companions of the dead man (see above) spent the night on a ledge after witnessing the accident, and was lowered to safety.

Saturday, June 21, 1986. Brandon, Fatality
A member of Limerick MC fell to his death whilst being assisted by his companions over a step on the Faha ridge. The Team recovered the body at first light after a cold bivouac.

Sunday, February 23, 1986. McGillycuddy Reeks, Fatality
A walker fell to her death whilst descending the ice-covered Northern slope of Cnoc na Toinne. The Team were alerted shortly after returning from the previous callout and recovered the body as darkness fell.

Saturday, February 22, 1986. Carrauntoohil, Rescue
Three experienced climbers from Cork MC were avalanched some 500 feet from the upper step of Curved Gully, but managed to drag themselves to Cummeenoughter lake. The Team were alerted late in the evening and an advance party administered fist aid shortly after midnight. All three were stretchered down the frozen waterfall to Cummeen Lar, from where they were evacuated by helicopter at first light.


Tuesday, December 31, 1985. Kinsale, Fatality (non-mountain)
The body of a man was recovered in the dark from his car at the base of the 300 foot cliffs of the Old Head. Light from the Ballycotton lifeboat (which was anchored offshore) was used during the operation.

Friday, November 1, 1985. Inch, Rescue
A local girl was involved in a rockfall and became pinned in the face of an incoming tide. The boulder trapping her leg was was removed carefully and she was evacuated in the dark.


Monday, October 1, 1984. Lough Brin, Search
A local lady missing from her home was located at daybreak in the valley.

Sunday, September 16, 1984. Shehy/Glena, Search
A local man was benighted in Glena after losing his way. An intensive search located him uninjured.

Wednesday, August 1, 1984. Carrauntoohil, Search
An elderly English lady was located cold and weak near Lough Cailli at daybreak after her climb the previous day.

Tuesday, January 10, 1984. Carrauntoohil, Search
A Cork man and his two sons had not returned from the mountain and a search was launched. During an all night search by an advance party vocal contact was made in the Curraghmore area, however at first light the missing persons made their own way down the mountain having located a suitable descent route.


Saturday, July 2, 1983. Carrauntoohil (Coomloughra), Search
A sheep farmer from Breanlee was located uninjured after an all night search. He had spent a cold night on the summit in fog.

Sunday, May 1, 1983. Brandon, Fatality
A Dingle nun fell on the West slope of Gearhane whilst on pilgrimage. The Team, in conjunction with the Air Corps helicopter, recovered her body at daybreak.


Sunday, August 1, 1982. Carrauntoohil, Search
Following the sighting of a survival bag by a local man near Curraghmore, the Team were requested to investigate. At first light it was found to be empty.

Sunday, August 1, 1982. Black Valley, Search
A search was carried out for the owner of an unattended car. A Team member located the man uninjured in the Bridia Valley.

Tuesday, June 1, 1982. Carrauntoohil, Rescue
Two Dublin teachers lost their way descending from the summit and one became trapped on a ledge above Curraghmore. The Team carried out a cliff evacuation at 3.00am.

Thursday, April 1, 1982. Gap of Dunloe, Fatality
A boy separated from his party and fell 600 feet to his death down the East face of Bull Mountain. The body was located early on the second day of the search by Team members and was winched out by the Air Corps.

Monday, March 1, 1982. Slea Head, Assistance
The Ranga, a Spanish frigate, ran into rocks in high seas. The Team were requested to assist in the recovery of the crew. On arrival, it was found that an RAF helicopter along with some local rescue personnel had winched the crew to safety.


Wednesday, July 1, 1981. Derrymore, Fatality (non-mountain)
The body of an FCA member was located on the beach. The Team's search expertise was made available to the army.

Sunday, March 1, 1981. Purple Mountain, Fatality
A German student failed to return from a solo walk in the area. A week long search involving the Team, National Park staff, Gardai, Air Corps, other MR Teams and local volunteers fails to find anything. His body was eventually found near the Eagle's Nest seven weeks later.


Tuesday, July 1, 1980. Inch, Fatality (non-mountain)
The Team co-ordinated the recovery of the body of a local youth who fell to the base of a sea cliff.

Sunday, June 1, 1980. Mangerton, Rescue
A Scottish walker got stuck on a ledge while attempting to descend into the Horses Glen. He was winched to safety by an Air Corps helicopter.

Tuesday, January 1, 1980. Mangerton, Search
A local scout got lost descending from the summit. During a preliminary search he was located by National Park staff near Torc.